Last night my husband and I were relaxing on the couch and he suddenly says “OK lets go.” I looked and him and inquired where we were headed and he gave me the classic answer “Surprise.” If you have met Zach you know he is a big fan of surprises, from our wedding to a birthday picnic to what he is going to pick up for dinner. I grab my purse and we head to the door Zach steps outside and I hear “Oh crap, it’s raining” I look out the door and it is bright and sunny…and pouring down rain. We did make it to the store although we ended up soaked. While we were wandering around the store and these babies caught my eye.
That’s right Brownie Supreme Puppy Chow (I know it says Muddy Buddies but it has always been puppy chow to me). I started drooling almost immediately and Zach, being the good husband he is said he was pretty sure we had to get them, he asked if I wanted the regular ones too. I looked at the small bag and decided I could make a much larger batch for so much cheaper. Obviously we had to buy the brownie flavor but we headed to the cereal isle to pick up some Chex cereal.
I don’t know about you guys but puppy chow was one of my favorite childhood special treats, I only got it at friends’ houses so I was always so excited for it. Now I am truly lucky because my Mother in law makes puppy chow every Christmas and I always get a big bag because she loves me, Zach usually has to wrestle the bag away from me if he wants any. Since Wednesday was exactly six months until Christmas it had been awhile since I had any so I knew I would definitely be making a batch today.
For this recipe you will need Chex cereal, semisweet chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar.
Measure cereal into a large bowl and set aside. I used Rice Chex and Corn Chex.
In microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute, stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
Pour mixture over cereal until evenly coated.
Pour into resealable food storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
Enjoy! (I couldn’t wait for it to cool, I had to have some right away)
From Chex cereal
- 9 cups Chex cereal (Rice, Corn, Chocolate or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into a large mixing bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High for 1 minute, stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Growing up, what was one of your favorite treats?